Technology is present in every field and all people make use of technology for the betterment of their living standard. Technology is one thing which keeps on upgrading and that is the reason why old technology gets outdated very soon. Technology has many advantages but along with those advantages, there are some disadvantages also, let’s look at advantages and disadvantages of technology in detail –
Advantages of Technology
- The biggest advantage of technology is that it makes our life easy because it enables us to perform tasks or works quickly and with ease. So for example with the advent of mobiles, one can easily connect with his or her dear ones no matter wherever they reside or take the example of computers which are used everywhere whether it is banks, hospitals, shopping malls, schools and many other places to make our life comfortable.
- Another benefit of technology that it results in saving of time and energy of the people, so for example in case of road and bridges 100 years back it used to take many labors to complete the work and it used to take years to complete small piece of work whereas nowadays many complex or difficult road networks and buildings can be made in short span of time with the help of technology and machines.
- Technology helps in improving the cost efficiency which in turn results in cheaper products and services for the consumer resulting in improved standard of living for the people of the country. So for example in case of manufacturing industries machine produce output more productively and efficiently than humans or in case of banks with the advent of ATMs and cash depositing machines there is no need for human intervention and work gets done quickly and for banks also it results in savings as these machines are cheaper than employing the human workforce.
Disadvantages of Technology
- The biggest disadvantage of technology is that it results in an increase of unemployment in the country which in turn creates other problems like more crimes, dissatisfaction among youth and so on. So for example in case of manufacturing industry if 20 years back 10 workers were needed for doing a particular task than in present times due to advent of technology that requirement of workers has gone down to 1 or 2 and this is not limited to manufacturing only but it applies to other industries as well as service sector industries like banks and insurance also.
- Another limitation of technology is that it makes human beings lazy and too much dependent on these gadgets, so, for example, our ancestors used to go to shops by walking or in cycle for their daily day to day requirements of various items but nowadays due to technology we order these items online through mobile and get our items delivered to home and there is no physical strain to get these items. Similarly if some server or data center in the office has some problem than whole work will be stuck till the problem in server or data center is not sorted out.
- Another disadvantage of technology is that it makes humans lonely as social contact is next to nil due to presence of these technological products. 10 or 20 years back there was no space in playing grounds as they were filled with children’s and nowadays one see empty grounds as all children’s are playing games in laptop and mobiles. Similarly, adults also tend to prefer talking with their friends on social media platforms like Facebook and WhatsApp rather than meeting with them personally. In short, technology has created such an environment where you have plenty of friends online but not many offline friends.
As one can see from the above that technology is a must in almost every field and society as a whole benefit from it but use of too much of technology in every aspect of life can be damaging as well as harmful for the society and the country as a whole.